Thursday, June 01, 2006

This afternoon, on the way into school, I made a detour into downtown Denver, to the "Lodo" Tattered Cover bookstore, because I just couldn't stand to wait a second longer to own the new Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto Bolaño (trans. Chris Andrews), which was reviewed in Bookforum (Koestenbaum gives Bolaño Saramago and Sebald status). I had to go to Denver for the book because it wasn't to be found in Boulder (at least not by me), which depresses me. We are supposed to have a decent indie store here, but too often it doesn't have the goods. At any rate, making a special, slightly irresponsible (life's crazy with moving, etc., at the moment) dash after a book I was dying to have has left me feeling very happy.

I'll have some things to say about Bolaño, and this one in particular, before long.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roberto Bolano is quite excellent. His novel LOS DETECTIVES SALVAJES is, in my opinion, the last great Latin American novel to remain untranslated into English. Although I here a translation is due soon. His posthumous magnus opus 2666 I haven't read yet, but it's massive and I've heard great things about it. Sebaldian and Saramagan status is about right. It's unfortunate that, like Sebald, he died before his time.

Gabriel M

5:37 PM  
Blogger Laird Hunt said...

Ah, I wish my Spanish was strong enough to read him in the original!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home