Saturday, August 12, 2006

I have the feeling I'm not the only one who had a bit of a thing for Richard Adams' Watership Down, a book I haven't looked at in 20 years, but that I read 9 times between the ages of 10 and 15. This thing, in addition to requiring multiple readings, multiple viewings of the animated film version, endless listenings to the album, and the purchasing of rabbits that were named after characters -- Bigwig, etc. -- moved me, in sixth grade, to start (boy that didn't go very far) an illustrated sequel called Woundwort's Revenge. That was my start in writing. "A dog loose in the woods." It doesn't matter if you don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

2 Comments:

Blogger gregoryedwin said...

oh man. yeah. watership down. i read that many times. when i must stay at my parents and i can't sleep, sometimes i still read it.

the movie version of his book The Plague Dogs was devastating.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Laird Hunt said...

Nice. And nice photo -- who is in the background? I could never get into Shardik -- ever try that one?

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home