Tuesday, September 26, 2006

One of the best things I've read in ages is Joanna Howard's In the Colorless Round, a chapbook of short-shorts with illustrations by Rikki Ducornet. It's an amazing thing, sort of baffles description. I kept thinking Jean Follain as I read it -- strange, quiet, haunting -- but also not Jean Follain at all. I've long held that the chapbook is the perfect length for collections of poetry, and I rather think that this may also be true for prose (that said, ahem, in an age of endless big fat books). At any rate, it's something to stalk and get hold of -- it's really marvelous.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Thanks so much for commenting on Howard and Ducornet. I am awaiting a review copy of the chapbook and couldn't be more excited to read it now! No one else I know has read it so I'm glad it's great and will drop whatever I'm doing to read it when it arrives. And thanks too for always giving praise to my lovely friend Danielle. We grew up together and remain friends. I think she's an excellent writer. I too am looking forward to her two new books to come out. Thanks for the good tip on the reading:)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Laird Hunt said...

Thanks for writing in, Angela. Joanna and Danielle are both terrific writers and I'm delighted to know they are being read!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home